Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The best way to avoid a water damage in your home is through maintenance.
Here are some tips that may help to avoid water damage:
- Check your water heater on a yearly basis and have it flushed Fix leaking pipes right away
- Remove hoses from the hose bib before winter
- Keep snow off your roof, especially in valleys where snow does not melt
However even with proper maintenance there is a chance for a disaster to happen. You may have a burst pipe or even mold growth. Call SERVPRO of South Jordan / North Draper right away to have your home cleaned “Like it never even happened.”
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (801) 572-2828
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.